Rogues,progressives and the strangers-part 1
Lately I have been exploring a multitude of Muslim blogs. During this time I stumbled on different personalities who are “callers” to Islam. Some of them have very dangerous ideas. Some are very progressive in their thought. So I compiled a list of people we need to be careful of.
1. Ahmed Subhy Mansour : A brief history and his current activities. He has very extreme ideas one of them being he is a rejector of hadith. I have a question for him which I asked myself and had to submit to the authenticity of hadith. Where did the Quran come from? Who narrated it? The Sahaba , correct. It has the isnad system attached to it. Thousands of people have the sanad to the Prophet(SAW). So it came as a narration to us. Now if that is the case then these narrators are trustworthy. They lived with the Prophet(SAW) and saw him and they narrated his actions and sayings. We trust the companions and love each of them for what they have done. ridhwanullah i ta’ala. So this is one character we need to becareful of because he is leading the masses astray by his false teachings. May Allah Protect us from this person!
2. Mark A Gabriel: This person is also another graduate from Egypt’s Al-Azhar. He has been maligning Islam for quite sometime. He became a Christian and openly criticizes Islam and is a favourite of Evangelical Christian talk shows. As usual he takes all political activites and turns them against muslims and Islam more specifically.
3. Khaled Abo el Fadel: Click here. Among his favourite ideas is criticism and call to scrutinize ahadith narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be Pleased with him). This is a classic attack that the enemies of Abu Hurayrah(RA) use. In Usool ul hadith by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips (may Allah preserve him) he discusses this issue. He says since he narrated a lot of ahadith he became an early target of many of the early sects of Islam, most notably, the Shia who consider him a fabricator of ahadith. Khaled is considered a great scholar in progressive Muslim circles.
4. Irshad Manji: This is a classic example of progressiveness that leads to destruction. She is again a so-called scholar of Islam. She encourages Ijtihad which only a handful of scholars in today’s day and age are able to perform. Muslim scholars generally are expected to memorize the Quran and hadith before or during their formal education of Islam. Again we have the isnaad system here. Irshad Manji has no command over the Arabic language let alone Quran and Hadith. She advocates gay rights. Which ofcourse is in direct contradiction to the Quran and Sunnah and indeed a great sin. Perhaps she can explain why Allah(SWT) destoryed the people of Lut(AS)? The answer is the sin of homosexuality.
5. Magdi Allam: You may know this person because he was given special coverage on CNN for becoming a Christian. This person does not like masajid to be populated in Italy. Strange how the Shyatan can decieve some people! This is the same person who made headlines by converting to Catholicism last year. He claims he has not prayed the five daily prayers ever. In the words of Sh Yusuf Estes, being Christian means you don’t really need to do much, just believe in three=one and that is your salvation. In Islam belief must be correct and actions must be correct! (intention also goes with your actions). If anyone of them is messed up there is a serious problem. Wallahu alam!
Keith Ellison: This may surprise many of my readers. This guy is a Muslim and he is standing up for muslims. Right? Think again. I was in Minnesota last year at my cousin’s place and it happened that the local masjid was pushing for all muslims in the community to vote. They looked up to this Muslim as their representative. I was in Holy Land restaurant that same evening and I saw him there with his family. A few days later I read that he is running as a Democrat. Then after some research into his character I realized that he supports the LBGT.(click here if you dont believe me) I was shocked. How can you be a Muslim and extend your support for such causes. Infact you should be working against these elements. Just goes to show how politicians deceive the people for their own agendas. My conclusion boycott the voting process because it brings no good. Plus it is a man-made system that has flaws in it. And please don’t come back with the argument that we have to make a change. Change only comes from yourself as an individual and then at the collective level.
Ahmed Amiruddin: This person hates Almaghrib for the fact that they promote (according to him) a Jihadist version of Islam. According to him this is not Islam. I think he belongs to one of the extreme naqshbandi Sufi groups. You can search him on youtube and find a vast array of videos in which he bashes Madinah University and other literature produced by them.
Mubin Shaikh: Well I don’t have to say much about him. Muslimmatters.org has a whole article on him and his compadres describing how they setup a bunch of misguided youths and got a hefty cut of moola out of it. This person even had the audacity of coming on the forums and calling Sh Yasir Qadhi, Yasir Kaddhab! I mean is this the respect scholarship deserves? ( I am actually writing an article on the respect and manners that must be displayed around our scholarship inshAllah will publish it soon). Not to mention the fact that he spied on his own brothers. It is very clear from his comments that he was motivated by a hatred for “salafi” Islam and thus wanted to teach them what Islam really is by humiliating them and breaking these youths and pushing them to the point. Sometimes people forget that one day we will die and we have to answer to our Creator. As Allah has warned us already that the Day of Judgment is coming very soon inshAllah. How can you turn on your on own brothers Mubin? What is your justification? Did you do the due diligence of giving them dawah. The person I mentioned above(Ahmed Amiruddin) says he knew what the kids were doing and yet he did not do anything to stop it. He just sat back watched and then he comes out on Canadian National TV blowing this event out of proportions and making it fit to his own agenda pf promoting his ideology. This is so pathetic. May Allah Protect us from the likes of these people.
You know initially I was just focusing on people who have caused a great deal of ordeal to the Ummah wether theologically, ideologically etc. but then I thought to myself it would be unfair of me to leave a whole group out. Just one thing I want to say, if you look at the Christians today what do they do in thier Churches? They Praise the Lord in their own way i.e. dancing around and singing a prayer. Compare that to what happens when certain sufi groups do the same. They sing and dance and venerate their shuyookh. Was this the practice of the Prophet(SAW) and his companions? By all means NO. There is no proof for this. A person who is ignorant of the fact that what he is doing is not right and a bida3ah is truly misguided and has infact laid a steppingstone to misguidance and eventually the Hell-Fire. I want to be guided. If this is the truth I will do it but I dont see truth in it because I have researched this very thoroughly and I have seen with my own eyes how this group has caused countries if not societies to become corrupt with their philosophy.
So the above list covers people that are dangerous because of their ideas and because they are having a great influence on many people. But inshAllah our organizations are doing a good job at Dawah. Also if a non-muslim is reading this, and you are really seeking the truth, then do not go to people of this kind. Rather go to the Imam of the Masjid. As a last comment on these people, some of them (especially in the sub-continent) have deviated so far as to practice sodomy considering it as an act of ibadah.